The latest announcement of a remake to hit the cineplex this summer is the Taking of Pelham One Two Three. The Gothamist was spot on by saying that the clunky, analog, seventies version with Walter Matthau seems preferable to the slick, digital, new version with Denzel Washington. You just have to love the old school version in this case; however, that will not preclude me from attending the new movie when it is released.
Moving on, I want to address the "new" James Bond versus the "old." Most 007 officianados hate Daniel Craig. They see him as too crude and inelegant. I on the other hand love him. He is the perfect, relentless, reptilian machine. In Casino Royale, he does not stop until he gets his task done. He uses sex as an end to a means, not as a way of making conquests. You can count on him to not come up with the old, tired James Bondisms. It was a revelation to watch him.
Perhaps the movie concept is turning from being for men to something that would interest women? Our roles have changed so much in these films. M is a woman. Bond does not see her as an authority figure to buck against just to fight the system. When he does go against her, it is to accomplish an end. The "Bond girl" in this film is witty, intelligent, and very modern.
I wish I could say the same of Quantum of Solace. Unfortunately, the beginning of the movie is a great deal like the old Bond. It is refreshing to have the story pick right up where the last one left off, however. And how wonderful for him not to end the film in the arms of girl X.
So, go Daniel Craig, I congratulate you on ringing in Bond 23 in 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment