Friday, April 24, 2009

Fractals

I have a confession. I am a fractal fan. I love nothing more than googling "fractal" and looking at their images. I could do it for days. What are they you may ask? Fractals were defined by French mathematician BenoƮt Mandelbrot in 1975, as a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole, a property called "self-similarity."


Say what?!? you may ask. The mathematics behind fractals are incredibly interesting and captivating. The formula is: a + ib, where i^2 = -1. Where a is one point on the plane and b is another and i is an irrational number. However, if you don't feel like poking this into your "C" language program may I suggest this fractal generator? Too fun!

http://www.utopiansky.com/labratory/fractals/

And some smart people out there have been finding them in nature:



















No comments: