Thursday, July 02, 2009

A Breath of Fresh Air

Now that I am older (almost 50), I find that I get on the culture train a lot later than I used to. There can be songs out there in the airwaves playing for years, and I will be so unhappily aware of them. Then, I will hear a song and think to myself how happy I am that people are finally playing the kind of music I love.

Well guess what? I made that proclamation today as I heard Santogold perform L.E.S. Artists. Seems she has been around in the punk scene for years and released her latest her album last year. Oh well, she's so good, that I think she will be around for a very long time and it won't matter when I discovered her. At least I hope so.



In an interview with Rebecca Walker, she talked about her musical style: Honestly, my main mission for what I'm doing right now is to see popular music become art music again. Like back when the Police and Prince and Michael Jackson and Devo had pop songs you heard on the radio. I'd like to bring that back. I'd also like to break down genres and barriers and help black people not to feel so stuck musically in one genre. Help little black girls to know that they can do all kinds of stuff and still be black girls. Through music, I'd like to help people to think for themselves and change the world-and win Grammys at the same time.



She also said about the anger in the lyrics: [M]ost of this record ended up being about my frustrations with the government and how people are voiceless and afraid to speak up for themselves. I'm not a really political person, in that I don't watch the news. But I know enough to know what's going on and what's right and wrong. I speak about stuff in a more subtle and indirect way. So I think that's mostly what the record's about.

No comments: