Sunday, July 05, 2009

God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise . . .

In eight short days, we should be moving into our new home. The reason we selected this home is not because of its size (it has about 450 fewer square feet than the home we built), nor is it because of its garage (only a two-car garage with one side boat deep). It is because of the yard. It is 0.4 acres of Mohave Desert and has enough room to put up a shop in the back and canning vegetable garden.

I have started perusing all the gardening websites in order to find good information for gardening in the desert. I found a wonderful gardening networking site, which was perfect for our situation. Unfortunately, I lost it and have been unable to google it again. And for some strange reason, I did not put it on my favorites list.

Needless to say, I have been finding much information suited to my needs. Apparently I can start planting as soon as we move in, but I think I will hold off until we get back from our road trip in September.

Desert gardening can be done and done well, as shown by my MIL's garden. I am going to milk all the information I can out of her, because she has been doing it for at least 40 years. She currently uses heritage seeds from a nonprofit group Iowa, and I think I will follow her example. She also has chickens, and we might try that on a small scale. It will be fun to grow and harvest things that I have been too picky to eat in the past.



But what excites me the most, is hydroponic farming. I know, what am I talking about? Well, sunshine is the premium here, and a good hydroponic farm uses very little water and maximum electricity, which could be harvested from the sun. Omega Gardens has the right idea:

No comments: