Nova has been talking about human evolution lately. According to them, part of our evolutionary process was developing the ability to run. We became endurance runners in order to be able to wear down our prey. This makes such sense. Running is such a natural thing. Our bodies respond to it and our brains make us happy when we do.
So many things came to my mind as I watched Spirit of the Marathon. I cried off and on all the way through it, because I related with each and every person they highlighted. God, I loved training for, preparing for, and running that marathon. It did define me. I was happier then than almost any other time in my life. The most amazing thing of all was that I never doubted that I would finish.
Training: For six long, wonderful months I lived like an athlete. Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday were whatever cross training I wanted to do. I ran three times a week. Monday was for speed. Wednesday was hills. Saturday was long, slow distance. After my long run (especially once I hit 15+ miles per run), I got a deep tissue massage afterward. I ate regularly and with forethought.
Planning: I printed out the marathon map and memorized it. I made up a little book with photographs from near the mile markers of where I would be running. In the book, each mile had an associated positive message. Therefore when I came upon a mile marker, my mind would immediately focus on the quote I had memorized. That was invaluable to keeping up my desire to finish. I also laid out energy packets and amino acid drinks for anticipated low periods. I took an energy packet every hour because the brain runs low on glycogen within that hour, and I needed to keep my attitude positive. The amino acid drink was for about mile 20+ so that I could give myself that last push and not die. It worked. I finished even though I was injured.
Running the Marathon: Nothing quite compares to it, anywhere, ever. I did not plan to win, just to finish. The symbiosis between the runners and the crowd is amazing. There is nothing like hearing people cheer you on. They know that you need them, and they are there for you egging you to finish. It is unbelievably wonderful. Family and friends matter, too. My dad appeared at different junctures of the race cheering me and handing me my electrolyte drink, and I was happy to see him. I think my favorite part of the whole thing was when I crossed under the bridge to go to the Pentagon's parking lot, and there were little kids in their Halloween costumes holding up bags of candy for the runners to grab. How cute was that?
The Worst Part of the Marathon: By far the worst part of running a marathon is about 4+ hours into it. When you are a slow runner like me, the people who have bonked or those who did not take such good care of their minds or bodies surround you. The negativity that pours out of these poor souls is frightening. I would see someone struggling along, and say a kind word to them, to keep them motivated, and they would turn to me and yell, "You're just faking it!" Their brains are so starved for sugar, they just radiate negative vibes. One guy yelled my favorite of the day, "You think you are wonderful, but you are just a loser!" That is why one reinforces oneself with positive quotes. So you do not become one of these poor souls or believe a word they say.
I desire to run more than I ever desired to drink. The way it makes me feel is indescribable. I crave it. I want it. I need it. Once I lick this cancer, I will train for another marathon. I think Chicago would be great for that. Or Phoenix. Or New York. Or Miami. I don't know. Maybe all of them.

Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most define us. That is true for the marathon, college, and cancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment