
Today began my final round of the 6-day chemotherapy and radiation extravaganza at Mayo Clinic. It started way too early, had many scheduling SNAFUs, but ended on an ultra-high positive note. Even though I have been dragging my feet during the radiation-only phase of treatment, I am have emerged very tired but very ready to fight on.
I have to admit to you that for the last two weeks I have been (unsuccessfully) fighting anxiety about this phase of my treatment. The last time I did this, nausea, vomiting, and chemo smell were my constant, unpleasant companions. I was NOT looking forward to walking along with them again. Anyway, I found that I was relaxed and stress-free as I sat there soaking up five hours of chemo. I knew what to expect and slept like a baby for most of the treatment.
The day itself was not trouble-free, and the problems began as my husband's 4 AM alarm sounded. For some reason he thought we had to be there at 6 AM and wanted to make sure we arrived on time. Some husbands have been killed while setting the alarm too early. You can count on it. Anyway, we arrived at 7 AM and met a flurry of scheduling SNAFUs. I would recount my tale of whoa to you, but it just makes me angry, and I am too tired to be angry right now. This was followed up by a refusal to schedule me for three days of etoposide and telling me that I would have a final examination followed up by text in six weeks. I thought they were dropping my treatment. I burst into tears.
We finally got it all ironed out as I made my way to radiation therapy. Dr. Schild was there directing the positioning etc. His PA, Pam was there also for the examination. I also saw Dr. Ross' PA, Lindsey. All agree that further symptoms have disappeared and that I am doing very well. Very positive news indeed. The tumor that I can feel on my shoulder feels all little and scabby now. Die Mother Fucker. Die.
So I had to pick up some more medicine tonight, and we ate at Mimi's. My nausea meds should be under control, and all looks good for fighting on another day without throwing up. The smells are starting to happen though. That just can't be helped when you are poisoned. This time we are washing shoes and bedding daily and bathing twice a day. I will keep you informed.
No comments:
Post a Comment