Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Land of Suck

I completed my final chemotherapy treatment on February 15. Yeah me. They got all the nurses together and made up a little certificate for me. They also came out ringing a bell and blowing very nicely scented bubbles. It was cute.

Then I went to radiation, of which my last treatment will be this Friday. Yeah me. I spoke with both the nurse and the doctor. They very patiently explained to me that I was now going to be entering the hurt locker. All the radiation cooking was happening, and it would be hard to swallow (check), my skin would start to blister and peel (check), and I might be nauseous (check). They also wanted me to start eating more (how?) and getting my weight back up (again how?). Let's not forget the magical drinking of more liquids (how?).

They pumped me up full of IV liquids yesterday and today because I can't seem to drink very much without throwing up or having a burning esophagus.

Don't feel sorry for me because of all this, however. If this is how I am reacting--what is happening to the cancer? Is it screaming for mercy? Running for the hills? What is happening to it? Let's hope it is dying.

The social worker who is helping me meditate is also going to help me do pain meditations on Thursday at 1:30. I will keep you posted.

No comments: