Sunday, November 15, 2009

Deadwood

For too long I have been a television snob, and it has harmed me immensely. I remember people trying to talk me into watching Buffy and thinking eew. Well, I was wrong. I am now branching out and watching, watching watching. It seems that television has become the new literature, taking the place that was once occupied by publishing and movies. Since I have been lucky enough to enjoy Mad Men and The Wire, and they no longer occupy the airwaves, I have since decided to expand my palate and am now watching Deadwood.

So far I have only watched two episodes, and I am enchanted. What a punch! No one is one-dimensional in this series, everyone has their own voice, and the attention to detail is phenomenal. I studied the American West during this period, and I am blown away by its authenticity to social movements and political currents. Spectacular!

I can't wait to watch more. And need I say that Calamity Jane is my favorite character? Robin Weigert rocks the role. She reminds me of one of the girls I was stationed with in the Navy named Sarah. They could be the same woman. Seriously.

No comments: