First, we took Route 40 west, which added way too much time to our trip, but was familiar. This is along the route. I believe I took the picture because there are three separate power plants in the picture (truly). The first is solar, the second is natural gas, and the third is some sort of solar/steam combination. This is right outside of Barstow to the east. BTW I took very horrible pictures on this jaunt, so you will just have to get used to them.

Once we arrived in America's Finest City, we dropped Kamy off at a hotel downtown, where she met up with friends she grew up with in the Armed Forces' school system in Germany. I did not get a picture of them (what was I thinking?); however, I was able to get a couple of shots of the downtown/airport area.


On our way to Point Loma/Shelter Island, we passed the old Navy Recruit Depot. Apparently, the USS Recruit is still "dry docked" there. Matt spent boot camp at this depot, and his old barracks is still standing. He also participated in dry runs onboard the USS recruit.

The view from the front door of our hotel was to die for.


The view from our balcony was also desirable. We sat on the balcony and watched the yachts pull in and out. We decided that no one could earn that kind of money honestly, so we speculated on who was murdered for what boat and how. Two huge yachts from the canary islands pulled in and were full of crew. Amazing we counted at least 5 each. There was even a nanny onboard one of them. I think the square footage of them was larger than our house and garage to boot.


This Buddhist shrine was on Shelter Island. I wonder if the seagulls are going to reincarnate as Buddhist monks or if they are reincarnated Buddhist monks? I'm just askin' . . .

My favorite greasy spoon still stands after well over 20 years . . .

Okay, this is just irritating. We drove by the old NASSCO ship yard (now General Dynamics) and saw a Navy ship being built. This is the only picture I could get of her, because my batteries ran out! Doh!

So, I did not get a chance to purchase batteries until the next morning for our trip back . . .
This was on Route 8 going east. Looks like more alternative energy at work. Dad thinks they are ugly, but they never fail to make me happy.

The black line in the background is a fence put up to keep the illegal aliens out. The second fence is to keep off road vehicles from driving onto the highway. I'm still not sure why they built this fence. I'm thinking that if they would have planted jumping cactus it would have been much less expensive and much more effective. I'm just sayin' . . .

This is one of the sand dunes that you will see in many a movie.

I'm not sure why they don't transport the water in a pipe. I think that would save on evaporation.

Finally, in the farmland north of Yuma, a tractor stirs up dirt that is taken up by a dust devil.
No comments:
Post a Comment