Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Just Called To Say "I Love You"

Today is September 11 or the ninth anniversary of the attacks against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.

I am watching Americans respond with grief and anger and demanding reprisals for the attacks. Believing that we have the right to still act as victims, certain believers have even gone as far as wanting to deny Muslims the right to worship near the WTC site in New York or to burn the Quran.

Many of us in this country are crying “enough.” We are members of the Coffee Party, and we are sick of the yelling, screaming, name calling, fear mongering, and finger pointing of the Tea Party and certain news outlets. We want to take our country back by sitting down over a cup of coffee and rationally discussing our nation’s problems and to work for intelligent solutions.

On 9/11 so many people died. Do you want to know what they did before they died? They called their families and loved ones. They didn’t call to say “get even” or to discuss anger in any way. They expressed their love and gratitude. Love was all they saw at the end of their lives.

I can think of no better way to honor those that fell and their families than by calling our loved ones and saying “I love you.”

That is exactly what I did today. I called and told everyone I loved that I loved them (or left a message for them to call me back) because that is what those who were killed did.

I fervently believe that if we honor those who died by loving those who live, we may not have time to cause hate and discontent for others. We will be so busy bringing love into this world that there will be no room for hate.

No comments: