Saturday, October 04, 2008

Anywhere But Page

I spent the day in Flagstaff yesterday. It takes 2-1/2 hours to get there from here, but I have XM radio, which makes the trip much easier. I listened to CNN, CNBC, Oprah's network, and music, so I find I bore the trip rather well. Yesterday they were broadcasting Congress live as it passed the Bailout plan. It was fascinating to listen to history in the making. We'll see how well it works.


I always have to make a pit stop at a Navajo Nation souvenir store and hotel on the way down. I really like to stop here because I like to look at the overpriced "authentic" Navajo pottery, rugs, carvings, beaded items, purses, and clothing. Most of it is made in Paraguay (purses), China (clothing and beaded items), Belgium (rugs), Pakistan (carvings) or Thailand (pottery). The most compelling reason to visit is for the overabundant, sterile rest rooms. When I am gliding through the store to my destination, I not only hear the Navajo tongue spoken, I hear Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and Japanese. The tourist buses stop here too, and it is fun guessing where everyone is from.



Once I leave there it is only an hour before I get to Flagstaff. I might add that I have gone through mountains, canyons, and grasslands to get here. The landscape is primarily orange punctuated with every kind of color imaginable. There is not happening on the route, so anything unusual requires noting. Yesterday I saw a burro just standing by the side of the road watching cars go by with not a care in the world. I have long quit worrying about vehicles stopped on the side of the highway, because they are either Navajos picking up hitchhikers or tourists photographing something. You wouldn't think I tire of looking at it all, but I do. When Matt and I are together we end up creating stories about the people we see along the road. We like to imagine where they come from, why are they there, and when they are they going back.


Flagstaff is a bastion of liberality in this über-conservative state. There is a wonderful organic/fresh market, several organic/vegetarian restaurants, and all the hippies you care to see. My daughter and I visited the market and saw a granola granny eating her soup at one of the al fresco tables. Diann said she enjoyed visiting there because it made her happy, and I understand why. We were greeted by a huge table loaded with organic pumpkins, pomegranates, and squash when we walked in. It looked just like a cornucopia. For a treat I bought a bottled HonesTea jasmine-green iced tea sweetened with agave nectar which was beyond delicious. I picked up Stevia and vegan molasses cookies. We then went to my favorite restaurant in the world, Macy’s. It is a vegetarian bakery/coffee shop/restaurant. I bought my husband a pecan roll, my daughter a no-bake chocolate cookie, and me a vegan sloppy joe. Macy’s is run by the Baha’i who believe in the equality of all humanity. I love that place, it is so laid back and busily peaceful. We saw several white Rastafarii, homeless people, and young hipsters being ironic in their "Elect Bush" t-shirts. By far my favorite was an elderly lady dressed in her Chanel day suit carrying a big basket of flowers.


I drove back wishing I could find a way to live in Flagstaff. I arrived in Page just as the sun was setting. I guess I really have nothing to complain about.

No comments: