I read this in a magazine that I picked up yesterday:
"It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes. As the epoch upon us presents us with geopolitical and environmental issues of almost surreal urgency, we need [a vision] that is infused with both intellectual rigor and compassion for a world in distress. It becomes clearer with each new headline in the morning newspaper that what humanity needs right now is not just knowledge but wisdom.
"Wisdom demands perspective. Yet the partisan us-against-them factionalism, culture-war labeling, and all the other small-picture models being tossed around by the media in contemporary society undermine perspective rather than promote it. What we need is a Big-Picture perspective, and not simply for the sake of being 'spiritually correct.' We need it because the state of the world has come to feel too overwhelming for many of us to even look at, let alone productively address, without seeing the Big Picture."
I am not going to say where I got it because I believe it is true for everyone and don't want you to get stuck in who the messenger is.
No comments:
Post a Comment