Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nostalgia

When we are small we soak up every detail of how the adults around us act, because they embody all the rules we are learning for life. Since I was a child watching my parents and television act out how to be an adult, the world has changed several times. I'm glad that society works differently today--I don't think I could stomach the racism and sexism of my childhood. However, I find myself at odds with the world I navigate now, because it does not resemble the world I so copiously studied as a child.

Last fall, AMC started a TV series called Mad Men, which sums up everything I saw adults do when I was a kid. If you get a chance to watch it, please do. For me, it is like slipping back into my childhood home on Essington Road, and even though it is painful to watch everyone chain smoke and drink or to see men treat women so callously, it is a familiar, comfortable place.

No comments: