Thursday, February 05, 2009

Angel

Tuesday afternoon, after the guys had packed us up, I had my last day with Angel. Her mother dropped her off and we said good-bye. What an amazing woman. She has two little girls and an ex-husband in jail. She is bettering herself by working as an apprentice at the Navajo Power facility and taking classes at night for that apprenticeship. She will make very good money when she is done and not have to worry about taking care of her girls.

Angel and I folded paper "cootie catchers" and made a reading game out of it. Needless to say we giggled and laughed very hard. The whole time she was learning. What a shame (snark). Here's how to make them:


http://www.funorama.com/cooties.html


Finally, Marie, Angel's grandmother arrived. Another amazing woman. Every time I see her she has at least one of her grandchildren in tow and is coordinating getting everyone someplace else. I don't know how she does it. Anyway here is my picture of two of my favorite people:



They brought be a plastic bag and made me sit away from the table. First, Angel brought me this horse hair pottery tortoise. Horse hair pottery is made from the tail and mane of a horse. It is baked with the clay and comes out with squiggles. Pretty cool really. Marie said the tortoise signified long life, family, and blessings from the earth. I started bawling.



Next Angel opened it up and pulled out this necklace. She put it around my neck and gave me a hug. I was still bawling.



Needless to say, I feel very blessed to have known this beautiful, smart, little girl and her grandmother. When I started helping her, I was there to keep myself from falling off yet another one of depression's cliffs. By the time we finished, I had myself back. I don't feel like I did anything special, just shared something I know so that I wouldn't despair, and yet I was given such an amazing gift.

I hope she keeps on reading!

No comments: