Having recently passed a kidney stone the size of Texas (I am assuming), I was read the riot act by the attending physician and nursing staff about the diverticulitis they discovered while I was there. They urged me to change the volume of food I consumed to better control the recurring infections. Again I was reminded of my gastronomic irresponsibility, of which I have been acutely aware for these past 15 or so years.
I told my RN daughter about my digestive adventures, and she read me the aforementioned act.
I told my gynecologist at the VA about my adventure, and she also recited the act verbatim to me.
So, in response to the health care professionals' Greek chorus, I have pulled out my Weight Watchers materials and applied their rules to my Vegan way of life. I quit Weight Watchers before because it promoted artificial sweeteners, which I am trying to purge from my diet. To my delight I noticed that eating vegan puts a lot of fiber into my diet, which lowers the point value of the foods I love, which means I don't need to use those pesky artificial sweeteners. For instance, the chocolate soy milk I drink has 2 g of fiber per serving. SCORE! Vegans eat mainly whole grains, raw sugar, beans, fruits, and vegetables, which all contain HUGE amounts of fiber (angelic chorus cue). So, I CAN have vegan peanut butter cookies after all. I even have the tools to help me figure out how many I can safely eat. YEE HAH!
No comments:
Post a Comment